The 2014 Annual General Meeting (AGM) of The Australasian Tuberous Sclerosis Society Inc will be held on August 17th at 12:30pm in Sydney. You can register to attend the AGM here.
One of the items of business in this meeting will be the acceptance of a new constitution for our association. We encourage you to read this article and the proposed changes and to contact us if you have any questions or comments.
The main reason for the changes to the constitution is to change the name of our association to Tuberous Sclerosis Australia Inc. This change is triggered by the establishment of Tuberous Sclerosis Complex New Zealand (TSCNZ). This new organisation has been established and will be launched at the upcoming family conference in Auckland. We plan to work closely with TSCNZ to help them establish a community of TSC affected families in New Zealand and to meet their needs.
The ATSS Committee believes that this name is strong and simple and will position our organisation well for the next phase of our growth, particularly in working with health professionals and in advocacy. If this change is approved at the upcoming AGM, we plan to roll out this name change in November to coincide with the launch of TSCNZ.
The full list of changes to the constitution are:
Change of Name
- The Australasian Tuberous Sclerosis Society Inc. will now be called Tuberous Sclerosis Australia Inc.
- Tuberous Sclerosis Complex New Zealand (TSCNZ) has been established and will be launched in November 2014
- Throughout the document ATSS has been replaced with TSA
Inclusion of objects
- As recommended by the NSW Department of Fair Trading
- The mission statement of ATSS has been added as section 2
Opening the ATSS Committee to those not living with TSC
- New clause added to section 14
- Definition of lived experience of TSC added to part 1
Changes to Funds Management
- Changes made to section 37
- Remove need to have all payments made by counter-signed cheque, replaced with general requirements for two individuals to authorise payments
- Added requirement for Committee to maintain policy (approved at August Committee Meeting) governing authorisations for transactions
Allowance for membership fees to be set to zero
- Changes made to section 8
Adjusting terms used for ATSS team members
- Consolidate Minutes Secretary and Membership Secretary into single Secretary position – Changes throughout the document
- Removed section 7 b) regarding responsibility for membership register
- Consistently using Regional Contacts rather than Regional Co-ordinators in section 19
Adjusting rules for adjourned meetings
- Section 28 changed to ask the adjourned general meetings take place within 14 days, replacing previous clause that mandated same place in 7 days’ time